Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Progress

 
I have been working on a couple of projects.  First is the hexagons for the baby quilt.  They are 4" x 4.5" hexagons so I can piece them on the sewing machine.  Definately fiddly and time consuming - but so much faster than hand piecing!
 
 
Piecing the hexagons together.
 
 
Pressing all of those seam allowances - not fun.
 
 
 
 
I got a backing all pieced for the x plus quilt.  As you can see I ended up putting together some scraps used on the front, filled in with some Lilly belle from Bari J (I love this fabric), and finished it out with some solid gray fabric between the pieced areas.


 
Then I got it all layered last week when Kelly was here to help.  I always spray baste when I am going to machine quilt.  It is soooo much faster than pin basting.  I think we had this all together in about 20 min.

 
Quilt all together and ready to quilt.


 
I started quilting along the straight seams of the pluses with my walking foot, 1/4" from the seam.
 
 
This is how it looked after quilting all of the straight lines of the pluses.
 
 
Then I decided to free motion quilt a swirl design in the diagonals of the x's.  It is fairly time consuming, so I have about 6 blocks done so far. 
 
Hopefully I can get more of the free motion done this week :>)
 
Looking forward to May, and hopefully some nice weather.  April here in Indiana was a cold, gray, rainy month, much more so than usual.  In fact, we had 8.59" of rain this April and the most rain ever recorded in the month of April was in 1893 - 8.60" of rain.  So we were 1 tenth off from the record wettest April.  Well, I'm happy to leave this wet month and get to some warmer weather!  Of course once the weather gets nicer I won't want to be inside working on quilts. :>)
 
Hope you have a great week, thanks for stopping by.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment